Saturday, June 13, 2009

...But Life Happened

I was all ready to do a post on an interracial dating trend I see. I was so geeked my first break at work was spent doing a little draft on my phone. I went out to accompany some new friends shopping. Plans change and I got to know one of them better. (I love meeting cool ass people. It makes me feel like I'm not the last of a dying breed. More on that later.) So anyways in between saying goodbye to my friend and walking to my car I found out my little sister is pregnant. I feel so many emotions. I can't quite put a finger on my mindset. I love her so I refuse to let her fail. As long as I have room for a negative balance in my bank account then the baby will be cool. I feel like she doesn't quite understand what is about to happen, but her ignorance is bliss. She said, "I know my youth is over but I feel like I'm starting a great adventure." I know she is going to try her best and that's really all one can ask for. All first time mothers have doubt I don't care if you're 14 or 40, having someone's whole life depend on you is a beautiful gift and a hellacious burden. I'm not going to ask the dumbass questions of "what were you thinking?" "Why didn't you do this or that?" The fact of the matter is what's done is done. The best thing is to focus on the future. With that said:



Dear Future Niece or (Hopefully) Nephew,

I was hoping you would've waited for a little while longer. I'm not ready to let go of your mommy. She's pretty fucking cool so I could see why you couldn't wait to get here. The thing is your mommy has to change and grow. I think your presence will speed that process up. I need you to be strong because the two of you will be learning together and at times it will seem like all you have in the messed up world will be each other. Remember that your bond will always be enough to get you through the toughest of times. Me and your other auntie will make sure you are cool but we don't have the same control mommy has. I'm a little overwhelmed at your existence so I don't really know what to say. You are loved already.

Love,
Me

1 comment:

  1. pregnancy is a beautiful thing, and you are taking it much better than i did when i found out my brother was having a kid....

    but the situation was different so there is no real comparison.

    anyhow, hope all goes well with the pregnancy and birth

    ReplyDelete